Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Habit

Walked up to the cashier and paid for my purchase with 17 one dollar bills. The girl took my money and casually asked, "Are you a dancer?" I have never. Can you believe that? It just goes to show you how crude some people can be. Anybody can take one look at me and tell that, if I even considered such a profession, those would have been twenties.

We are all guilty of mis-reading first impressions. I, myself, actually looked at a person once and instantly thought I could trust him. I guess it was the police uniform that threw me. He wasn't very big but my first impression was that he was a servant of the people, risking life and limb to keep us safe. After signing the $200.00 ticket I was left knowing he was nothing more than a shill for the establishment, a pawn of the court. I was only going eighty two, it was an interstate, if those slow pokes hadn't been in my way I would have been home. How much of a menace to society could I be? I'm surprised he even saw me as dark as it was. The creepazoid was hiding behind that 65 mile an hour speed limit sign just waiting to pounce on some poor innocent like myself. People like him have no idea how they impact society. Before 'the incident' I was cruising along not paying attention to my speed but carefully motoring down the highway. After, I waited till I was around the hill and purposely kicked it up to 67. I knew I was going to do it. I, a law abiding citizen, became a pre-meditated law breaker. It was all his fault.

Some people can really fool you. I read about an engineer who tried to kill his business partner by cutting the red air bag wire and, while the two of them headed to a convention,  purposely drove into a tree. His plan was sound enough on the outset but his passenger's air bag deployed flawlessly. His own did not. You see? It got you too. When I said he was an engineer you assumed he was smart. Well, when you take a second to think about it, we all know it's the blue wire you need to cut if you want to kill your passenger. What an idiot. Remember the old adage we learned in grade school? Blue kills you, red I'm dead. How could an engineer forget that?

As you go through life don't be fooled by first impressions. Just because she's wearing a nun's habit does not necessarily mean she will whack you with a yardstick. And just because he's scrawny doesn't mean it won't hurt when he kicks you in the......pocketbook by giving you a stupid two hundred dollar ticket.

Driving tip: If you have to pull over it is O.K. to get your tires dirty. If the shoulder is level or gentle, get your car at least half off the pavement. Those people on the highway aren't going to slow down. They should, but they wont. Turn on your flashers. Somebody driving along dead-tired will drive right into your trunk if all they see is taillights.
If you are doing 82 in a 65, you deserve the ticket. Don't whine about it.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment