Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Little Arrows

Did you ever find yourself reading something you shouldn't? The other day I was doing some Christmas shopping and I noticed letters on an article of clothing. Ordinarily I would never have stared 'there', but these words kind of jumped right out at you and you couldn't help checking them out. There was this arrow pointing up and the words said, "My Eyes Are Up Here!"

So there you go, a person doesn't want me staring at a particular place yet hangs a sign on it? What's up with that? When it dawned on me what was written there, I instantly turned a cherry red and this dude standing in front of me started laughing. There was no getting around it. I was looking where I shouldn't and I got caught. I tried to play it cool and casually asked, "Why would you ever write something like that on the front of your pants?" He was laughing so hard he could barely talk, "Why were you looking?"

When something like that happens you can't really say anything. You can try, but trust me, nothing you can think of will seem appropriate. You do, however, get an immediate and clear understanding of Alfred Hitchcock. Sometimes a situation presents itself where the only reasonable conclusion would be to hack someone to death with a butcher knife. I couldn't wait to get away from that scene, left the line and went back to the housewares department. I got this really great butcher knife but by the time I went through the checkout and into the parking lot the only sign I saw was on this Goodwill truck asking me to give to the needy.

I threw my brand new still unopened package containing a 14 inch, stainless steel, rosewood handled knife into the bin. I figured, from then on, I would keep my eyes front and put the whole episode behind me but you never know. Some needy guy might not be as sophisticated as the new me and have occasion to stare where he shouldn't. I hope he appreciates my gift. In the meantime, if you ever throw on your 'my eyes are up here' pants, stay away from needy looking people.....You never know.

Driving tip: "Objects are smaller than they appear."(maybe I should invent some pants that say objects are larger than they appear) That sign on your mirror should also say, "Do a head check because some objects may not appear at all." Two things. You have a blind spot, be aware. Other people have blind spots too. Be aware.

No comments:

Post a Comment